Videos of a “Venturous” Vacation: Cheese Nips, Downpours, and Maurice
Let me set the scene for this next episode of Videos of a “Venturous” Vacation. Things were going quite smoothly on the first leg of the trip. The boys even took a 45 minute nap and the peaceful view looked like this:
HOWEVER, as we neared Lebanon Junction, KY (about 3 hours from home)the van went from an accelerating 70mph to 0 in a matter of seconds. God truly protected us as Brad was able to coast directly onto an exit ramp and into a gas station parking lot with absolutely no power. What does Jen do to keep from going into a panicked cardiac arrest? Turn on the video camera, of course!
7 Blessings and Provisions from this “Venture”:
1. God’s protection in an engine failing situation.
2. We were able to get the one mini-van rental left in the 50 mile radius, due to the Kentucky Derby. The first rental company we called had only a Ford Focus left on their lot (uh, definitely not “Quadmobile” material), the next was completely out, and the last had just gotten a cancellation for a Toyota Sienna. Coincidence? Nope, I don’t believe in them!
3. My brother and his family were less than 10 minutes from the exit where we broke down when we called them to find out if they had even left Indiana yet. He was able to help us unload, reattach the overhead luggage carrier, reload, and hold babies while we transferred the car seats. It was an ENORMOUS blessing to have his help and to see a familiar face during an uncertain situation. (I should have videoed this part, but I must have been too caught up in the major shiftaroo!)
4. The semi-truck service station graciously took a look at our van, correctly pronounced the van “dead upon arrival”, and allowed us to unload our Venture and reload our rental van under their garage during the downpour.
5. The Hertz Rental Company in Elizabethtown treated us with true southern hospitality. Due to our extreme circumstances, they made an exception and picked us up from our stranded location. Maurice, our driver, was able to refer us to a trusted place to have our van towed and provided enjoyable conversation along the transport.
6. Brad and I had an amazing measure of calmness that HAD to be from the Lord.
7. The boys were absolutely AMAZING! No major meltdowns, fits, tantrums, etc. Considering everything they endured we had no complaints from our little troopers.
Plus…it ended up being great blogging material!